Substitute Teacher K-6 (Berkeley, California)
Walden Center and School is a leader in progressive elementary education and collective administration. Our school has a rich history of teaching creative minds and alternative thinkers over the last 60 years, with a strong commitment to a fully-integrated arts curriculum. All of our students have Spanish, Music, Drama, and Visual Art with specialists twice weekly. Here you’ll find child-centered education at its best. Our approach to teaching makes learning a multisensory, joyful, and lasting experience. We cultivate a diverse community of learners, families, and teachers to create a secure and textured learning environment. Walden students love to go to school. We are a school run by a collective. Decision making is consensus-based. We are a small school with big ideas and a big heart where children love to learn and teachers love to teach.
We are seeking substitute teachers to join our substitute pool. We are looking for people who have familiarity with whole-child education encompassing academic, social, emotional, and physical development, and who loves teaching children.
Our teachers integrate arts and play-based learning in their lessons, in a hands-on, meaningful way. Walden teachers practice flexibility, openness, and keen observation to fully engage students and support their joy of learning. We believe that this approach honors different learning styles and life experiences. We utilize a variety of assessment tools to inform our teaching, and do not administer formal tests or give grades.
We are looking for flexible, caring, attentive teachers who are ready to step into the classroom when our teachers need to be away from the classroom. We are teaching in-person so you will be asked to follow strict safety protocol in compliance with guidelines from the city, county, and state.
- Following lesson plans
- Preparing Educational Materials
- Communicating with classroom teacher
- Experience working with children at the elementary level K-6 grade
- B.A. degree
- Ability to use classroom technology (computer, projector, external camera) for those learning from home
- Ability to maintain safety protocol for COVID-19
- Experience supporting diverse learning profiles
- Strong classroom community-building/management skills
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- California Multiple-Subjects Credential
- Responsive Classroom experience
- Experience teaching lower elementary grades
This is a regular part-time hourly position.
$23.44 with paid lunch break
For more information about Walden see our website: www.waldencenterschool.org.
Please send a resume and cover letter addressing your philosophy of education to waldencenterschoolHiring@gmail.com and add “Substitute Teacher” to the subject line.